Monday, March 15, 2010

Building a Recipe Collection

You could, I suppose, simply collect any and all recipes that sound interesting. I have a better idea, though!

This is the way I do it: I am building a personal collection of recipes of things I would want to be able to cook and I only put recipes in my final collection that I know how to make. I am combining the building of my recipe collection with gaining cooking skills. My collection will represent what I know I can cook, not just a lot of possibilities!

I will probably eventually put my recipes into a binder. For now they are in a computer file. If you prefer recipe cards, you could get a small file box and some recipe cards. Then, whenever you “conquer” a favorite recipe or test a new one enough to know you want to keep it and can do it, you could write out that recipe card.

A good place to start with your recipe collection would be to make a list of all your family's favorite recipes. Check off the ones you are sure you can make successfully on your own. Then systematically work through trying the recipes you didn't check.

I'm far behind where I should be in doing this. Anyone want to challenge me to conquer at least one more recipe before the month is over? I would say “challenge me to a duel” but some of you might be able to do a lot of cooking in the next two weeks and I don't think I will be able to manage more than one or two new recipes!

No comments:

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.