Thursday, September 29, 2005

Virtue: Awareness

I figured it was about time I started talking about some of the things we need to put in our Hope Chests in different categories, but particularly in the critical category of "Virtue." I didn't expect my first Virtue discussion to be on awareness. Until this afternoon, in the garden, picking soybeans, I wasn't aware that awareness was a virtue. My realization didn't have anything to do with the afternoon, or the garden, or the picking, or the soybeans. At least I don't think it did. I really don't know where it came from. Perhaps if I had been paying more attention, I would know where it came from.

I lack awareness.

I have been noticing this lately, and remedying it in a haphazard manner, but never did it occur to me that it is a character trait, and one of real importance, at that. It seems so small beside love, purity, integrity, honesty, patience--and perhaps it is--yet . . .

If you are not aware of God's gifts, how can you be grateful for them? How can you even enjoy them?

If you are not aware of danger, how can you keep from getting hurt--physically, emotionally, spiritually?

If you are not aware of the needs of others, how can you help to supply them?

How can you learn, if you are not aware of your need to learn or that there is anything to learn?

How can you do anything if you aren't aware there is anything to do or that you haven't done it?

How can you
be thoughtful of others,
have relationships with others,
love,
if you are not aware of others?

So much escapes my notice. This afternoon, while I was out walking, one of our relatives/neighbors stopped in his truck and asked me if Dad was home. I told him no, and I didn't know where he had gone or when he would be back (as is usually the case). After he drove on and I walked on, I seriously pondered whether I had told the truth. I looked down into the yard--the truck was there and the car wasn't. I knew Mom was leaving shortly. Had she slipped out in the car without my noticing, and Dad was home in the truck, or was he still gone with the car and she had not yet left in the truck?

How is it that I could walk out of the house and through the parking area without noticing whether I had passed a car or a truck (and this was not even my first time outside since Dad had left!)? How could I not know whether or not Mom had left, when I had not gotten out of the sight of the house or the driveway? Am I observant or WHAT?

I know I need to be more aware of what is going on around me (so that when people call for Dad I have some idea of whether he will be home "this afternoon," "later tonight," "late," or "sometime tomorrow"). I need to be more aware of God, His love, His blessings, His creation . . . my need of Him. I need to be more aware of others so that I can be more caring, kind, attentive, and helpful. I need to notice more often the dirt on my floor, the clutter on my desk, the dusty steps, the scummy tub, the cobwebs under my computer, so I'll clean house. And more than notice, I need to GET IT!

I'm rambling. I just became aware of the time. I need to go to bed.

I'm learning!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

The things you talked about in your post are very important. Awareness is truely something to be cultivated. I am not always the most aware but I do consider that I have some level of this and sometimes you people without the same measure drive me crazy to say it midly! I just had a conversation about this topic with a friend last week and it was sort of an intersting chat. I am not always aware of things but I think in a great measure because of the different jobs and the level of responsibility I have had over the years from the time I was little I tend to keep track of things and people fairly well. This is usually a good thing and part of what makes me a good "extra help" employee and a good caregiver but taken too far it can become a problem. People can feel either too mothered or completely throw all caution to the wind because there is someone else who is responisble who will take care of things. This is definetly not the response I want to illicit. As you work to increase your awareness of your surroundings I am going to suggest that you will find more work waiting for you. Not just in seeing more dirt but also in seeing opportunities to help those people that the less aware have passed by. Or you might see things that have been done in a manner that are half hearted and if you are anything like me you will feel like you need to do the job right, if you can. Awareness is definetly a virtue but in some respects it is a blessing and a curse. Sometimes I almost wish I was less aware and more content to just let things go by.

hopeful said...

Sounds like you are a very "aware" person. Drop that little virtue in your "hope chest" and enjoy it! ;-)

Any strength we have can cause us problems at times. For example, a person who is very patient, calm, and easy-going, might also tend toward laziness and might be slow, or might waste time and annoy other people by their lack of enthusiasm and energy. That is why we need to not just strengthen individual traits, but to work on developing balanced characters and personalities.

I think the main reason I am unaware of my surroundings is that I am concentrating so hard on something else! Oh, well. :-)It's often good that I am focusing on those things, but I need to be aware of other things too! Another illustration of the need for balance!

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.