Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Knowledge: A Little Reality Check Therein

If you were to take a test covering the following somewhat randomly selected homemaking-related areas, at an elementary, high school, or college level, would you pass?

Home management
Money management
Resource management
Time management
Organization/space management
Shopping
Housing
Home safety
Food preservation
Foods and nutrition
Cooking/baking
Gardening/lawn care, etc.
Housekeeping/cleaning
Mending/clothing repair
Ironing
Clothing selection and care
Laundering
Knitting/other needle crafts
Sewing
Art in life
Etiquette /manners
Hospitality and entertaining
Family relations
Parenting
Marriage
Courtship/dating
Communication
Child development
Human development
Health

4 comments:

Crystal said...

I would probably pass but for sure not with a 100%. There were some things like sewing and money management where I fall short. And I don't really know what Resource Management and Art in Life entail so I might do so well there either. Etiqette I know a little and hospitality I know some too but I am for not the most proper entertainer. Interesting list.

hopeful said...

I think I could pass some of these at a college level (which is a really good thing, since I studied a lot of these things in college!) On some things I'd have better luck with an elementary level test, though. I suppose it would depend on just what the test covered, now wouldn't it? :-)

I can't knit at all, and I can barely crochet. The only other needle craft I can do is counted cross-stitch. Mending, clothing repair needs some attention, but I might do okay on a written test! I don't know about ironing, either. My knowledge of money management is quite basic.

Resource management is the management of all of one's resources (or the resources of a home): time, money, energy, etc.

Art in life is the application of art principles to everyday life/homemaking, as in interior decorating, or as in dressing with line, color, balance, and so on, in mind.

Crystal said...

Oh ok...thank you for explaining those terms to me. I might do ok in practical application but I don't know about in a written testm especially if I didn't know what to call them!

hopeful said...

You're welcome. Yes, it would be hard to pass a test when you didn't know the terminology, even if you did know the stuff! :-)

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.