Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Big Change

Well, it has officially happened. The big event each Fall that marks the end of Summer and the beginning of Winter: the First Frost. Eric (brother) and I gathered the last of the peppers and tomatoes the other night--after dark, in thirty-something weather (and he didn't even wear a jacket!). It is unusual that the frost should come so late--nearly November. It was late last year too, but can come in early September. I like it better when it is late!

The garden is gone. Of course, there are still greens and bok choy, but the "Summer garden" is past for another seven months. Only the freezing of greens and bok choy, the drying of apples, and the making of applesauce remain.

Those who do not grow gardens may notice the changing of the seasons, yet the change has little effect on their daily lives. Although I am not so bound up in agriculture as some (such as those who actually farm!) the first frost both really and symbolically is the turning point between the season of planting and growing and harvesting, and the season of resting and waiting and planning. It's like the new year, or a new semester of college--a time to look back at the accomplishments and failures of the past few months, a time to make necessary changes for the future, a time to plan, a time to move forward with the things that past months could not afford but the months ahead crave.

What will I do? I don't know. I haven't gotten that far yet. :-)

4 comments:

Crystal said...

I miss the days of gardening...I loved the final harvest of fall when everything was put in it's place and you could look back on a wonderful, productive summer and settle in for a nice time in doors hoping for snow!
Not having those times of specific seasons makes for a life that is hard to seperate. One day just runs into the next and one season into the rest. It's harder to keep track of time and you can't look back and say for definet, "Remember the summer of __ when we did this?" because you can't really remember if it was summmer, spring or early fall. All you remember is that you were't bundled up for winter. Rather sad...

What will you do now??? Write of course! Don't you have some rather big writing projects to work on my dear?? :-)
I am looking towards my crocheting projects though because I am living this rather seasonless life I certainly don't have the time for them like I used to. Oh well I have plans to visit Wal-Mart tonight!

hopeful said...

Oh, it is sad. I can't imagine. It's easy to forget the season sometimes, even around here, but the difference between drab March, Daffodil April, strawberry-ing May, bean-planting June, squashing August, and winding-down September, are rather hard to misplace.

Yes, I do need to write. I have such a hard time with it though! I just have a hard time knowing what to say. I mean, I know the subject and topics, but what do I say about them? Sigh.

I have been thinking of crocheting a scarf. I don't have such great skills in crocheting but that shouldn't be too difficult, should it? That would be a good winter's project, if I can spare the money to buy the yarn. But what color should I make it? With my decision-making ability, that question will ruin the whole idea! LOL

And I need to put lots of things in my "hope chest." It's just begging for some more lovely character traits. :-)And some cooking skills. Yumm!

Crystal said...

Oh my goodness Tina! Just pick what coat you want it to go with, go to the store and buy some yarn. A scarf is incredibly easy and even if doesn't look so great in the end, who cares because you are just going to wrap it around your neck and on one will be able to tell anyway.

hopeful said...

Good advice. :-) Except I don't know about picking which coat I want to wear it with. I only have two winter coats and I really only wear one of them. I don't own a dress coat and I would kind of like my scarf to be something that would go with a dress coat should I ever get one. But I should just pick something neutral or some other color I like that won't clash with my current coat, right?

Any idea about how much yarn it would take? I wasn't planning on using a pattern so I don't have a clue!

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.