Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Isn't That Cute: Shaped Breads

First of all, I'm not a food photographer nor do I have a food photographer so please bear with my less-than-perfect photos!

Did you know you can make bread in heart and other shapes? These are perfect for mini sandwiches. Or, spread them with your favorite spread for a tasty appetizer.  

 

Look for shaped loaves among baking equipment. You might have to go to a specialty store. Mine (which really belong to my aunt) look like this.


Little sandwiches. 


I don't know how I managed to cut off part of the heart (and it was part of the show) without even realizing I did so. Told you I'm not a food photographer!

More samples! 

 

I learned how to apply a filling neatly. Use a teaspoon to spoon the filling into the center of the bread, then gently spread, or flatten, it out to the edges. This technique helps to prevent dropping bits of filling on the plate or smearing it on the edges of the slice of bread. 

  

Garnish each slice to make them look more "festive". I used dried herbs (because I didn't have anything else!). Dried herbs make a very quick garnish.


If you're using a spread, rather than a filling, start with a generous portion on your knife or spoon. Don't ever let it come in contact with the bread and you won't pick up any crumbs.

 

 

Tomorrow, look for my shaped breads step-by-step post.

No comments:

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.