Thursday, January 14, 2010

My First Regency Gown: Week Two

I haven't done much since last week's entry (I've been sewing a lot of other things!) but I do have a few things to report.

#1 I cleaned out the library/guest room floor, where I cut out large pieces. However, since I think it will be awhile before I use it for this or any other pattern, I didn't clean the floor.

#2 I've been studying the pattern and coming to conclusions. I know I want to lengthen the bodice a bit ~ maybe two inches~ to give it a more modern Empire waist. I also may need to lengthen it because I am tall. Since I simply don't know how much I need to lengthen it, I'm going to make a very basic muslin (just the bodice, no sleeves) to check the fit. Later I will make muslins with sleeves and finished necklines because I want to know what they look like.

#3 I am preparing my muslin fabric (it's in my lap right now!). I'm using, as much as possible, some old, ugly brown (in my opinion, anyway) curtains. Preparing consists of removing the ruffles so I have more fabric to work with and the pieces are easier to manage. When I'm done, I'll press them. They are old, so on most seams I can just rip them apart since I get them started.

Maybe next time I'll have pictures, and possibly a report on a muslin or pattern alterations from the neckline supplement.

No comments:

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.