Thursday, August 28, 2008

My New Project . . .

. . . and confession time. My confession is that I have been meaning to post about this project since last winter or spring! Okay, no more excuses. Here it is.

I now have my own garden.

  1. Because a certain spot on our property demands to have something done with it.
  2. Because I think we need this type of garden.
  3. Because I want to.
  4. And because I want to learn to garden and I think jumping in with both feet is the only way I am going to accomplish that.
It's approximately 40x40 feet (it has been so long since we laid it out that I have forgotten the exact measurements), in our front yard, and is to be a potager.

A potager is a mixture of flowers, herbs, vegetables, and fruits. Potagers are usually thought of as formal gardens but they do not have to be formal. Mine will be semi-formal.

The plot of land was previously a raspberry patch, nursery beds, and a let's-put-this-here-until-we-find-a-place-for-it area. Some things we were not able to move this spring (including the raspberries) so it is very much in progress.

Here are a few pictures from this spring:

A "before" picture, after we had cleaned it off some.


Digging up grass clumps.

Measuring and staking.

More measuring and staking.

No comments:

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.