Thursday, September 14, 2006

For Our Learning pt. 1

Our parents lives (and by extension, those of our older siblings, aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc.) stand before us as an example of how to live and how not to live.


We see their wise choices and their good example and think, “I will do just as they have done.”


We see their parenting mistakes and think, “I will do better than that.”


We see their struggling marriage and think, “My marriage will never be like that!”


But is there really any guarantee that whatever is good about their lives will automatically pass on to us? That we will do just as they have done? That we will be as good as they are, as wise as they are, as successful as they are?


Is there any guarantee that we will automatically avoid whatever is not good about their lives? That we will not make the same poor choices? That we will not hurt our children in the same ways? That we will not have the same kind of empty, troubled marriage?


No. There is no “automatically” about it.


But it can happen if we are willing to really learn from what we see before us—both the good and the bad.


. . . to be continued.

9 comments:

Crystal said...

so very true...you always think when you are getting a lecture from your parents, "When I have kids I won't ever say this or that and I certainly won't give them lectures." But then you have a child or children and you find yourself repeating the same lectures and the same phrases and just shake your head in wonder at how you have become your parents in so many ways.

hopeful said...

Yep! And even if you are not a parent, you find yourself becoming your parents. "I won't" may be a worthy resolve--if you just carry it out!

Crystal said...

So very true! But somehow it just doesn't always work that way. There always seems to be something that we find ourselves doing that makes us stop and say, "whoa that was just like my parents." Then you have to decide if you like that trait or not or if it's something you want to rid yourself of and move forward in a different direction.

hopeful said...

If we DO stop and say "whoa"--which we need to! Although sometimes we don't need to change anything. :-)

I need to do part 2 some day but it seems like I am so swamped with everything else I have to do!

Crystal said...

Ok Tina it's time for another post. 4 mo. really is too long to go before telling us anything! I just realized I never sent you feed back on the stuff you sent me a while ago. I will try and get to that in the next week or so. Don't loose hope.

hopeful said...

Yeah, well, I've been sick with "Major Depression." Oh, how fun! I really have been thinking about posting something though. :-)

workaholic said...

Long time no post
ok so i am doing no better but that is beside the point

hopeful said...

I AM feeling guilty. I shall come up with something soon!

hopeful said...

I AM feeling guilty. I shall come up with something soon!

~ Notes ~

Content copyright (c) 2005-2011 Christina A. Huffman /Keeping Home. Theme graphics copyright (c) 2007 Pat's Web Graphics www.patswebgraphics.com. All photographs are copyrighted. Do not take them or link directly to them without my permission.